[PLUG] VPN needed for other OS

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Mon Oct 7 19:24:10 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I need some advise about secure tunnels.  I've been trying for the last
week to get a win2k machine to tunnel into an IPSEC deamon running on a
test box (configured for x509 certs).  This has been a very frustrating
experience, particularly since it still doesn't work, connection logging
on the client box shows nothing, and all the server says is "connection
not authorized".

First question, does anyone know of an alternative with about the same
level of security?

Second Question, can anyone give a short run down of how the ipsec
tunneling is supposed to work?  In particular, the documentation doesn't
say anything about iptables rules, yet ipsec looks for kernel support
for iptable, ipchains and ipfwd (or whatever that old one is).  Does
there need to be NAT rules in place for the tunnel, or does ipsec take
care of that?

I eagerly await your words of wisdom.

Derek Loree