[PLUG] kernel profiling

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Tue Oct 8 17:49:59 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 10:26, Russell Senior wrote:

> Ed> Answering part of my own question: The problem was
> Ed> Grub. Apparently, I still haven't completely mastered
> Ed> grub.conf.
>
> Please remember that we can't read your mind.  Maybe you could post
> your grub.conf (or menu.lst).

I didn't post it because I already solved the problem. When I said
that I haven't completely mastered Grub, I meant that I had to
memorized the details of grub.conf as I have for lilo.conf.

> Ed> I'd still like to know whether kernel profiling is in all kernels
> Ed> or whether it must be compiled in. A quick scan of the source
> Ed> didn't give me the answer.
>
> When I did a "quick scan" of my own just now, I didn't see anything
> obvious, besides CONFIG_PROC_FS=y.

Then you missed a few items. One was profiling for User Mode Linux.
Cool stuff. It seems like every time I explore Linux source code
I find more cool things that cause me to steal time away from what
I'm supposed to be doing.

Ed