[PLUG] Thumbnail guidelines for when to convert a program from Perl to C? {Was: binary perl executable?)

Sean, Sharon and Kyle Harbour sharbours at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 19:16:33 UTC 2002

Can anyone give a thumbnail guideline for when someone might
want to prototype an application in perl, then rewrite it in
something faster for production use? Anyone have any examples
and real world speedups? Am I wrong in thinking that a lot
of the perl module functions are already written in C or other
compiled languages, so the performance gains in rewriting an
application completely in C might not be worth it?

I'm asking this for the programmer neophytes among us,
myself included.

Thanks,

Sean Harbour

=====