[PLUG] Samba and WinXP connection problem

Stephen Liu satimis at writeme.com
Wed Oct 9 08:32:17 UTC 2002

Hi Ben,

I have no luck.  Problem still remains

At 09:12 AM 10/7/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>"useradd -d /dev/null -s /bin/false M40G$"

It went through without complaint.

>"smbpasswd -a -m M40G"

It went through without complaint, not requesting for adding password

stop ipchains and restart  Samba

# mount
/dev/hde2 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/hde1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
//M40G/Shared on /mnt/WinXP type smbfs (0)

One thing I could not understand.  It seems mounted but with a (0) content.

Backside Story
===========
Previously this hard drive ran RH7.3 with Samba server installed also
having problem in connecting WinXP (the same WinXP under this test).  Samba
server could see WinXP and its shared folder for file transfer without any
problem.  But WinXP could not see Samba server.  The smb.conf file was a
basic Samba config file similar to this one now used.  Unfortunately I have
not saved the original file for future use.  After installing Samba-2.2.31
coming with RH7.3 CDs, the setup was quite simple without much work, no
password requested, no Administrator added to Samba, etc.   But It worked
one-way only.  Later I made a fresh installation of RH7.3 erasing the old
one. Now both ways are blocked.

Thanks

Stephen Liu