[PLUG] Dual boot win 2000 and RH Linux 8

Fedor G. Pikus fedorp at wv.mentorg.com
Wed Oct 9 23:14:59 UTC 2002

After you have shrunk the Win partition with PMagic, begin RH install
(don't create Linux partitions yet).
Use Disk Druid of fdisk to create Linux and swap partitions (don't tell it
to partition everything automatically, it'll wipe out the disk).
It'll want to install GRUB into MBR, let it. It probably won't recognize
NTFS, I think NTFS mounting is still experimental, unless RH enabled it in
their kernel (if it was FAT32 it would mount it).
It'll also give you an option to add the other OS to GRUB, tell it to do
it.
Then you choose which one to boot from GRUB and everything works fine.
That is, if your PC supports booting from second partition of the disk. If
it's a relatively old PC and the disk is IDE, it won't work because the
BIOS can't get to the disk above 1024 cylinders. Then what you do is this:
you move your Win partition with PMagic to open up a small partition at
the beginning of the disk, 10M is fine. Then in Disk Druid you tell RH to
mount the small partition as /boot and the big partition at the end of the
disk as /. The rest is the same, and it configures GRUB automatically to
deal with the /boot partition.