[PLUG] MTA filtering good mail

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 10 00:01:29 UTC 2002

  I really need some help on this issue; I've been fighting it for several
weeks now without success. The problem is the reverse of spam blocking: it's
sending and receiving mail that should _not_ be blocked according to my
postfix filters.

  For example, here's one I just tried sending that bounced back to me:

Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

This is the Postfix program at host salmo.

below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

delete your own text from the message returned below.

                        The Postfix program

<pjcogan1 at hotmail.com>: Domain.

  Now, much as I would love to reject hotmail.com and all the other no-cost
e-mailers, I cannot. The problem here is that 'hotmail.com' is not in any of
my recipient_check or sender_check map files. The only two records are:

[root at salmo /etc/postfix]# grep hotmail.com *
body_checks:/pleasestopsending at hotmail.com/ REJECT Spam rejected.
header_checks:/^From: <BeatriceTinsley at hotmail.com>/ REJECT Sender.

  In neither of these two instances, both with specific usernames, is the
reason the domain. The only instance of "Domain" is in header_checks, and
there's no instance there of hotmail.com! I'm totally bamboozled why postfix
is rejecting this message when I try to send it.

  I also have legitimate mail rejected when there is are question marks in
the subject, but not when there's a single question mark. That's another one
that has me completely baffled for there are no instances of question marks
in header_checks except at the end of specific subject lines.

  Some erroneous filtering I've finally figured out myself (the daily log
rotation of /var/log/maillog has _really_ helped me there). For example, I
was losing mail on a mail list from a user of the British ISP, virgin.net,
because 'virgin' is one of the postfix trigger words. I also had to
explicitly OK two ISPs in Nevada to prevent messages via their servers being
rejected.

  Help, please! :-)

TIA,