[PLUG] Saving Gnome Session

Mike Witt mike at computer-arts.net
Thu Oct 10 15:13:06 UTC 2002

When I check the "save session" box, when logging out of Gnome,
it appears to create the file $HOME/.gnome/session. In this file,
the apps that I'm running are saved, but no info about their
"geometry" appears to be saved.

It appears that I can edit the session file by hand, for example:
  6,Program=xterm
  6,CloneCommand=xterm +sb -geometry 80x24+6+356
  6,RestartCommand=xterm +sb -geometry 80x24+6+356
seems to do what I want, when I log off and on again.

However, Gnome periodically seems to want to change this file
when I DON'T do the "save session" thing. Also, of course, it would
be nice to have Gnome save the geometry info if possible.

Can anyone point me to documentation that addresses this?
When I open up "help" in Gnome is comes up with something that either
doesn't work very well, or that I don't understand :-)  It appears
that if If I knew exactly where I wanted to look, I might find
something, but I can't figure out any way to search through it.

-Mike