[PLUG] html tag for image caption

Patrick Beart patrick at WebArchitecture.com
Thu Oct 10 19:00:34 UTC 2002

At 9:30 AM -0700 10/10/02, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   According to my copy of ORA's "HTML", there is a <caption> tag associated
>with tables. Is there a way to associate a caption with an image?

	The "caption" attribute of HTML Tables is "deprecated"
(phased out, obsolete).

		http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.2

	The "caption" attribute is NOT designed for images, nor is it
a stable cross-browser tag attribute. Various non-standard browsers
(i.e. MS Internet Explorer!) will render the attribute differently.

	... so many (HTML) problems, so little (customer) interest in
fixing them.   ;-)

Patrick Beart
Web Architecture  &  "iWeb4Biz"         503-774-8280       Portland, OR
Internet Consulting, Intelligent Web site Development & Secure site Hosting.
http://www.WebArchitecture.com/

"This is an era when nonsense has become acceptable and sanity is
controversial."
                                      - Thomas Sowell