[PLUG] sparc

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Oct 10 22:47:48 UTC 2002

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:18:59 -0700 Marvin wrote:

> On Thursday 10 October 2002 3:18 pm, Geoff Burling wrote:
>
> > 2) SS10's do not have a built in CDROM. You'll have to either
> > scrounge a SCI external CDROM drive (I built one using an old 411
> > case & a 4x SCSI Plextor drive -- works fine) or set up an NFS
> > server & use the CDROM drive on that.
>
> What type scsi would that be.. ???

UltraWide, or SCSI II. Since it's a generation back, they're
very inexpensive right now. (I just picked up a sparc-compatible
external SCSI cable at FreeGeek for $2.50 -- about a third of
the mail order price of $9-10, which is still a lot less than
what this stuff cost 5 to 7 years ago.)

If you poke around the Sun web site, you can find the field engineer
manual for the SS10. Lots of useful tips there. (And I wonder how
long before some PHB at Sun decides to remove them in order ``to
save money"?)

Geoff