[PLUG] PC Reboots As Kernel Loads

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Fri Oct 11 14:39:29 UTC 2002

> Strange. I recently replaced the aging P166 motherboard in my Linux
> box with a second-hand (known good) MicronPC i810-based 700 MHz
> Celeron mobo. Everything looks alright until the kernel attempts
> to load, at which point the box spontaneously reboots.
>
> I can just barely make out where the kernel message spew is when
> it barfs: it appears to be just *after* the "calculating delay
> loop" line, which judging by the dmesg output of my other systems
> is when the kernel decides what it has to work with in the way of
> RAM.
>
> Is it possible for "bad" RAM to make the kernel barf? This RAM came
> off of the P166 board (yes, it's compatible with the Celeron --
> standard PC133 DIMMs), and was working just fine. Also, I had no
> difficulties booting with a Win98 boot floppy (sigh).
>
> The next step I had in mind was to run some sort of memory test
> software. Any better ideas?

Are you still using the same power supply that came with the 166 MHz
board?  If so, I would suggest trying a newer, beefier supply.  It
has been my experience that right around the bogomips calculation is
where the kernel really starts working hard.  An embedded PowerPC
board that I've been working on will often reset at that spot if
the power supply isn't up to snuff.

The memory test is also a good idea.  You can download a free one
at memtest86.com.

galen