[PLUG] Mozilla and Flash Player

Tyler F. Creelan creelan at engr.orst.edu
Sun Oct 13 20:17:23 UTC 2002

> One nice feature of Mozilla is the ability to block images (ads) on a by
> server basis. This doesn't help with flash ads, which I am seeing more
> and more of. Is there a way to block flash content on a by server basis?

I looked into this a few days ago and found several solutions. One
approach is to use "jFlashmanager" [3] a java program that automates
turning flash on and off. You could also use a web proxy like privoxy [1],
or a bookmarklet that suppresses flash and iframes [2]. The approach I'm
taking is to block flash ad servers in my /etc/hosts file [4].

1. http://www.privoxy.org/

"Privoxy is a web proxy with advanced filtering capabilities for
 protecting privacy, filtering web page content, managing cookies,
 controlling access, and removing ads, banners, pop-ups and other
 obnoxious Internet junk... Privoxy has application for both
 stand-alone systems and multi-user networks."

 License: GNU GPL

2. http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html

 "Removes java, flash, background music, and iframes from a page. (The
 HTML tags removed are object, embed, applet, and iframe.)"

 License: Free

3. http://www.jtedley.com./jtflashmanager/index.php

 "jTFlashManager gives you the capability to turn Flash on and off for all
of your browsers. "

License: Free

4. http://slack.net/~ads/

"You can put the list of servers above in your proxy machine's
/etc/hosts file and conveniently block ads for all your users. This
will also save you lots of bandwidth and help protect your users'
privacy. "

HTH,

Tyler