[PLUG] Router/firewall w/gui distro needed

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Mon Oct 14 17:42:06 UTC 2002

Theo Macris wrote:

>I am going to set up a router and firewall box for a Mac using friend of
>mine. He has never/nor ever wants to see a command line. Have any of you
>heard of a good R/F distro that includes an intuitive gui control panel,
>possibly web based? I am tempted to use SME 5.5, but that even seems WAY
>bloated at 300mb. The box will need to do no other work. Thanks mates.

For about $50 or less, you can get a Netgear RT311 router off Ebay.

I found mine to be every bit as secure as a linux firewall (more in some
cases) and faster.

It has a web based configuration, only available on the LAN connection.
It supports port forwarding.

Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online
http://www.dimstar.net

Random thought #11 (Collect all 17)
"Every year, back comes Spring, with nasty little birds yapping their fool heads off and the ground all mucked up with plants." - Dorothy Parker