[PLUG] Router/firewall w/gui distro needed

John Telford John at JohnTelford.com
Mon Oct 14 18:44:06 UTC 2002

It would be nice if there were an easy way to set up effective firewall
rules using a command line or GUI.  Unfortunately there isn't.

The user interface isn't the problem.  Getting firewall rules correct is
difficult and error prone.  One must be intimate with how the firewall
processes rules, and understand in detail how IP protocols work.

Then the fun begins.  The firewall and the set of rules need to be
tested.  This step is difficult and requires experience using IP tool
sets.

My experience is the most effective firewall rule that requires the
lease amout of experience to setting up NAT.  This is what most off the
shelf consumer firewalls use by default.

...John