[PLUG] OT: Disk image copy program

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Mon Oct 14 21:50:59 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 14:35, Richard Steffens wrote:
> Brendan Miller wrote:
>
> > I have Windows 2000 on a 40GB drive in my _other_ computer....
> > But as long as it's been installed, I've never used but 4GB,
> > so that drive is going largely to waste.  I have a 9GB drive
> > I'd like to "move" my install to...  The disks are different
> > sizes, so whatever copy occurs can't copy the partition table,
> > 'cause it will be erroneous on the 9GB disk.
>
> Could you use fdisk to resize the Windows partition? Then, "move" the
> now 9GB partition to the 9GB drive?

This probably won't work with NTFS.

The best luck I've had with this issue is Norton Ghost.  They make a PE
version that came with the basic "SystemWorks 2000".  The PE version
won't do the network dumps, but can move a partition of one size to a
partition of another size on the local machine.  The drawback is that it
boots to DOS, so SCSI transfers are painfully slow (no drivers).

HTH

Derek Loree