[PLUG] PCMCIA Driver for Debian Install

todd.sarratt todd.sarratt at attbi.com
Tue Oct 15 03:59:30 UTC 2002

I've been attempting to upgrade the kernel on my laptop running woody for
about a week and I keep losing my ethernet card every time.  Finally, with
the (infinite) help (and patience) of another list user, I got it solved.

# apt-get install pcmcia-source

This put pcmcia-cs.tar.gz in my /usr/src/ directory.  Untarred it, went into
the new directory (/usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs) and, of course, read the
README file.  Which told me to :

# make configure
# make all
# make install

When I rebooted the system, my ethernet card started blinking again.  This
was a 2.2.20 -> 2.2.21 upgrade.  The 2.4.19 attempt failed miserably, so I'm
taking baby steps...

Hope that helps.  If not you, then someone else with a Netgear FA511 card
and a laptop.