[PLUG] OT: Disk image copy program

Brendan Miller brmiller at kudzuforest.com
Tue Oct 15 19:17:27 UTC 2002

Update:

Derek Loree wrote:

> The best luck I've had with this issue is Norton Ghost.  They make a PE
> version that came with the basic "SystemWorks 2000".  The PE version
> won't do the network dumps, but can move a partition of one size to a
> partition of another size on the local machine.  The drawback is that it
> boots to DOS, so SCSI transfers are painfully slow (no drivers).

This worked beautifully (by the third or so attempt when I fixed my own
mistakes).

Here's what I did (for the archives):

1) "Pretend" to install Windows 2000 on the target disk:

   a) Boot off the Windows 2000 Professional CDROM.
   b) Tell it you want to do a fresh install.
   c) Choose the target drive.
   d) Create the partition, format NTFS.
   e) Let it copy files.

2) Use GHOST to copy from source (working Windows install to transfer) to
   target:

   a) After the initial file copy in (1e), the installer will reboot.
      Intercept this reboot and boot from GHOST DOS boot floppy.
   b) Start GHOST.  Copy from Windows 2000 partition on source disk to
      freshly-created, partially installed (from 1e) Windows 2000 partition
      on target disk.

3) Reboot.

That's all it took.

Brendan