[PLUG] PC Reboots As Kernel Loads

Sandy Herring sandy at herring.org
Tue Oct 15 19:54:18 UTC 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Paul Mullen wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 02:34:29PM -0700, Sandy Herring wrote:
> >
> > I've seen a similar symptom when the kernel catches an NMI during the boot.
> > Try disabling them on the command line and see if the system boots.
>
> Sounds like an interesting lead. Too bad I don't know where to begin.
> :-)  Google searching for "kernel disable nmi command line" doesn't
> bring up anything helpful. Any leads?
>

> Paul (off to dig through the kernel source...)

You didn't specify which bootloader you're using. If you use lilo, at the
boot prompt do...

    linux nmi_watchdog=0

In grub, use the command line interface to add...

    nmi_watchdog=0

...to your kernel line.

If that works, then for lilo you can add...

    append="nmi_watchdog=0"

...to the stanza in lilo.conf for your kernel du jour and then rerurn lilo.
This will take care of future boots so that you don't need to specify it on
the command line during boot.

In grub, you'd add...

    nmi_watchdog=0

...to your kernel specification in grub.conf. e.g.,

    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-5smp ro root=/dev/hde3 noapic nmi_watchdog=0
    (ymmv)

See Documentation/nmi_watchdog.txt in your kernel source tree for more info
about NMIs.

hth,
Sandy
--