[PLUG] Configuring a CD Burner

Russell Evans revans at e-z.net
Wed Oct 16 06:48:12 UTC 2002

This info is for a 2.4 kernel. I haven't played with a 2.2 kernel in a while so
I don't know if this is accurate for that series.

cat  /proc/scsi/scsi

cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info

This will tell you what your drive is.

/dev/cdrom is probably still pointing at /dev/hdc. You will need to remove the
link and create another to the device name you got from
/proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info i.e. drive name:	      sr0 in my case.

If you don't get any info then you need to look for two modules, ide-scsi and
sg. Both are required for scsi emulation. If you didn't setup scsi emulation by
appending hdc=ide-scsi to lilo; if you install ide-scsi and then sg modules, it
will map your ide cdrom to a scsi /dev/whatever. You don't have to reboot. The
append in Lilo and reboot is so you have the scsi emulation at boot and don't
have to manually load modules. I like to know about loading and unloading sg
because I have had CDRWs that were a little flaky. I buy cheap.

I like this shell script because I don't have to remember the directories in
/proc.

http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/rescan-scsi-bus.sh

Thank you
Russell