[PLUG] Looking for Linux alternative to MS Exchange

Carla Schroder pluglist at bratgrrl.com
Wed Oct 16 19:48:31 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 12:22, Rob Hudson wrote:
>>I've got about 20 people on Win2K boxen and we're running a Linux server (or
>>about to - it goes live this weekend...) and while I'd love to move everyone
>>to Linux, we have too many software packages that we rely on that are
>>Windows-only.

>>All I really need is the contact list and calendar management and sharing
>>features of Exchange, as we'll be using PostFix.

> Suse has something in the works...

SuSE already has a nice product, SuSE Linux eMail Server 3.1. Based on
Postfix, Cyrus, OpenLDAP, and Squirrelmail. See
http://networking.earthweb.com/netos/article/0,,12083_1466561,00.html for a
brief review by the fabulous me.

Bynari and Caldera's Volition are similar, and work well, what I don't like is
they both charge client licenses for server products. SuSE's email server is
one price no matter how many users connect.

A better solution for you might be Time & Chaos, it's a Windows shared
calendar/contacts app. It works great on either a peer network, or
server/client. http://www.isbister.com/chaos32.html.  It won't be all
mega-integrated like Exchange/Outlook, but it's inexpensive, stable, and a
hell of a lot easier to admin than Exchange.

--
Carla Schroder