[PLUG] ISDN with Linux

Patrick Beart patrick at WebArchitecture.com
Thu Oct 17 01:48:26 UTC 2002

At 5:35 PM -0700 10/16/02, Dylan Reinhardt wrote:
>Unless you're doing hosting, SDSL is probably a waste of your money.
>
>Earthlink DSL works great with Linux and offers a very competitive
>price.  Many local ISPs like Coho and Internet Arena also offer DSL,
>usually through Verizon.  Some also offer ISDN if you're sure that's
>what you want.
>
>I wouldn't recommend working with Qwest unless it's strictly
>necessary.  I'd like to tell you about all the great experiences
>I've had setting up services with Qwest, but I don't think I've had
>one yet.

	Well, I have to disagree with this.

	I had ISDN with Qwest, starting in 1995, then again last
year. QWest will come to your house/business if your ISDN goes wacky.
One bill, good service (really!).
	EarthLink works with local telco providers, so if you're in
Qwest territory for your phone system, you're going to end up working
with Qwest whether you want to or not. Deal with it.

	FYI, I wrote the original article on ISDN for ComputerBits
magazine, several years ago. Search under my name, if you care.

Patrick Beart

-------------------------
>At 05:10 PM 10/16/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>>Hey,
>>
>>I currently work at a dentist's office and we are looking for a
>>high-speed connection to the Internet.  I can get SDSL through
>>Worldcom (who currently filed bankruptcy) and ISDN through QWest.
>>Since we currently have phone service through QWest, I was thinking
>>this would be a good idea.  Also, I was hoping to switch to a Linux
>>router with the addition of a high-speed connection (we have ICS
>>over a modem currently, don't ask).
>>
>>So, should I go for ISDN with Linux, or use DSL?  Does Linux care
>>whether I'm using ISDN or DSL?

Web Architecture  &  "iWeb4Biz"         503-774-8280       Portland, OR
Internet Consulting, Intelligent Web site Development & Secure site Hosting.
http://www.WebArchitecture.com/

"This is an era when nonsense has become acceptable and sanity is
controversial."
                                      - Thomas Sowell