[PLUG] ISDN with Linux

Patrick Beart patrick at WebArchitecture.com
Thu Oct 17 05:43:25 UTC 2002

At 8:11 PM -0700 10/16/02, Sean Whitney wrote:
>I wouldn't bother with a linux isdn solution.  For about $100 you can get a
>used cisco 700 router in ebay.  If you get the right model 700 you can also
>get spare teleco ports on it and hook the fax machine up to one of the lines.
>  If a fax goes out it drops one of the 64k connections for the fax and
>continues routing data over the other 64k line.  Set that up and then set up
>a linux firewall. Let cisco do what it does best and linux do what it does
>best.

	LOL. ... What Cisco does best is to require complex
configuration!   :-)

Patrick Beart

-----------------

>Sean
>
>On Wednesday 16 October 2002 17:10, you wrote:
>>  Hey,
>>
>>  I currently work at a dentist's office and we are looking for a
>>  high-speed connection to the Internet.  I can get SDSL through Worldcom
>>  (who currently filed bankruptcy) and ISDN through QWest.  Since we
>>  currently have phone service through QWest, I was thinking this would be
>>  a good idea.  Also, I was hoping to switch to a Linux router with the
>>  addition of a high-speed connection (we have ICS over a modem currently,
>>  don't ask).
>>
>>  So, should I go for ISDN with Linux, or use DSL?  Does Linux care
>  > whether I'm using ISDN or DSL?

Web Architecture  &  "iWeb4Biz"         503-774-8280       Portland, OR
Internet Consulting, Intelligent Web site Development & Secure site Hosting.
http://www.WebArchitecture.com/

"This is an era when nonsense has become acceptable and sanity is
controversial."
                                      - Thomas Sowell