[PLUG] Re: Rack-mount cases for linux boxes

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 17 13:52:25 UTC 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> I hope not.  I've got a dual PIII/350 and a PII/233 that I use all the
> time.  The dual is my desktop - mostly - but does extra service (as all
> good Linux systems do) as SAMBA server, Web Server, Database server and
> virtual CDROM server on my SOHO network.  The single will become the
> 'server' soon so I can cram some more applications and data on the
> desktop.  :-)

  Thanks, Rod. My main server/workstation is a PII/333 that's been reliable
for about 4-5 years now and the other workstation is a P-MMX/500 we've run
for 2-3 years. Unless I'm doing serious number crunching or spatial
analyses, the cpus are waiting on us to press the next key so that's plenty
fast for 98% of our use.

  But, if I can put together faster systems at a very reasonable cost, then
it will allow me to consolidate all the systems in a single rack and that
has some space advantages.