[PLUG] Samba server and WinME connection problem

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Thu Oct 17 18:25:34 UTC 2002

Hi Stephen,

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 02:48, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi all folks
>
> I encountered another Samba and WinME connection problem both boxes are
> connected with a crossover cable.  Ping both boxes showed
> connected/connecting
>
> Name of WinME = IWILL
> share folder = Shared
> IP address = 192.168.0.1
> 2 NICs
> eth0   IP add = 192.168.0.1  connected to Samba server
> eth1   dynamic IP for broadband connection
>
> Name of Samba server = M40G
> OS = RH8.0
> IP address = 192.168.0.2
> share folder = /test
> 2 NICs
> -connected to WinME
> -connected to broadband    dynamic IP
>
> Workgroup = SEC
>
> /etc/Samba/smb.conf  (BASIC)
> [global]
> workgroup = SEC
> guest account = IWILL

This account needs to be a valid linux user (like nobody, which should
already be on your system), not the remote machine name.

> encrypt passwords = Yes
> hosts allow = yes
> security = share

Setting security to "user" will make trouble shooting a little easier,
then you will know what user is logged into the samba server.

What is the resolving order?  Did you set up (or designate) a wins
server?  What is the OS level?  Is there some sort of browse master (at
least local)?

> [test]
> comment = test share
> path = /test
> browseable = yes
> read only = no
> guest only = no
> guest ok = yes

What about the /home entry?  If you change security to "user", the
/home/valid-linux-user directories become easy to access, as long as you
are logged into the Winbox as that linux user (and either use no
password, or the passwords should match on both machines).

It might help if you got rid of the second NIC in the Winbox, MS OS's
have a hard time keeping their routing tables straight.

Another piece of advise, reboot the Winbox frequently while you are
testing, often it is the only way to make it re-read the changes made on
the server.

Fear not, it will work.

Derek Loree