[PLUG] Power-Off problem

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Thu Oct 17 18:35:05 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 22:09, Anthony Schlemmer wrote:
> Does power management need to be enabled in the CMOS setup to get this
> functionality to work? I can't recall and I don't want to reboot my box
> to find out.
>
> Tony

No, this is a function in the kernel, most of the time APM is enable in
the kernel, but is set to NOT turn on with boot, you can turn it on with
an "append apm=on" (or something like that) in lilo.conf, there must be
something similiar to that for GRUB.

There is another kernel option called "Real Mode power down" (or
something like that) that needs to be set for the system to actually
power itself down.  This may start to function when apm is turned on, it
may not.  If it doesn't, you will need to compile your own kernel to
turn it on.

HTH

Derek Loree