[PLUG] PHP or perl for web app?

Eric House fixin at peak.org
Fri Oct 18 03:17:50 UTC 2002

I'm building a web interface for a series of tools, written in perl,
that build data files for a PalmOS game (like Scrabble(tm)) my kids
and I designed and wrote for fun.  Users will upload text files, and a
bunch of CGI scripts will compress the files into Palm databases and
return them to the user.  I'll need to generate web pages, keep track
of state as a session progresses, and manage large files on disk.  No
database access, though.  And no interaction with other sites for
credit cards or what have you.

I've never done anything like this before, but I know perl, and there
seem to be a lot of useful modules (CGI.pm among them) for this sort
of thing.  But a friend who does web apps semi-commercially recommends
PHP -- though he doesn't know perl and so can't exactly compare the
two.

Anybody out there care to make a recommendation or suggest somewhere
to explore the question.

Perhaps I should mention that this is strictly for fun.  I want to
provide a service to people quickly and effeciently and then get back
to writing apps in C/C++.  I'm not expecting to do this
professionally.

Thanks,

--Eric House

* From the desktop of: Eric House, fixin at peak.org                            *