[PLUG] PHP or perl for web app?

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Fri Oct 18 04:57:41 UTC 2002

Preston Crawford wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Dylan Reinhardt wrote:
>

>>You'll find partisans for every possible approach.  Each will be right, to
>>some extent.
>>
>>Which leads me to recommend my language of choice: Python.  Web-based apps
>>are what I do and Python is just about all I use.  It is about as intuitive
>

> Why Python, if I may ask? The reason I ask is because I've been curious
> about Python, but I was never sure whether to spend the time to learn
> it or not.
>
> I'm a Java programmer professionally. I have used (do use) a variety of
> languages in my career including Perl, ASP, JavaScript, SQL, C, C++ and
> now I'm doing PHP in my spare time for personal websites. So I've had no
> need yet to learn Python, but I've been curious.
>
> Reason I ask is because if the reason to use it is that it's easier then
> that's not *super* compelling to me since I already know other languages.
> But if it's something else, then, well... I'd be interested.

Along these lines, any pointers to the 30,000' view of all the web
languages?  I subscribe to both Linux Magazine and Linux Journal and they
regularly feature what is supposedly the best thing since last weeks sliced
bread.  I usually skip those parts since I'm not a web developer (whatever
that means anymore), but if were to learn a new language, how does one
decide what to focus on?

Depends, I know and I can't define what my intentions are either.  But I
can't even say what PHP is.  Is it an API for CGI?  Alternative? Etc...would
love to see a breakdown of the big picture.  Python, Lamp, PHP, PCP, LSD,
they all sound great, where to start?

--
Kyle Accardi