[PLUG] PHP or perl for web app?

Preston Crawford prestonc at crawfordsolutions.com
Fri Oct 18 05:11:04 UTC 2002

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Kyle Accardi wrote:

> Depends, I know and I can't define what my intentions are either.  But I
> can't even say what PHP is.  Is it an API for CGI?  Alternative? Etc...would
> love to see a breakdown of the big picture.  Python, Lamp, PHP, PCP, LSD,
> they all sound great, where to start?

For my money PHP is VERY handy. It's sort of syntactically similar to C,
C++ and the like so learning it won't hurt you down the road to know it.
You can use it for web programming AND for scripting on the console.
Recently I wanted to write a script in a pinch to use various console
tools in the service of donwloading a radio show in real audio. PHP fit
the bill perfectly. Quick and easy.

Preston