[PLUG] PHP or perl for web app?

Dylan Reinhardt plug at dylanreinhardt.com
Fri Oct 18 05:35:48 UTC 2002

At 09:17 PM 10/17/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Why Python, if I may ask? The reason I ask is because I've been curious
>about Python, but I was never sure whether to spend the time to learn
>it or not.

It won't take much of your time if you're an experienced programmer.  If
you're pretty well-versed in the use of basic structures like linked lists
and hash tables, Python's built-in objects will be second nature.  The
toughest thing about it is it's *very* OO.  Everything is an object...
functions, files, properties, methods, etc.

>Reason I ask is because if the reason to use it is that it's easier then
>that's not *super* compelling to me since I already know other languages.
>But if it's something else, then, well... I'd be interested.

It's easier in a uncluttered-syntax, easy-to-read sense, not in a "for
dummies" sense.  My #2 reason for using Python is that I can write a lot of
functioning code quickly.  My #1 reason is that I can look at that code 6
months later and still see how it works.

If you'd like a more thorough (and partisan) argument in favor of Python,
you might enjoy Eric Raymond's classic rant:

There's also a lot of interesting Python work going on in Portland.  For
more info on that, check out PorPIG (the Portland Python Interest Group):