[PLUG] Samba server and WinME connection problem

Stephen Liu satimis at writeme.com
Fri Oct 18 07:18:15 UTC 2002

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your response.

At 11:25 AM 2002/10/17 -0700, Derek Loree wrote

>- snip -

The revised  smb.conf  is as follow:

[global]

workgroup = Mshome
guest account = satimis
encrypt passwords = yes
hosts allow = yes
security = user

[test]
comment = share
path = /test
browseable = yes
read only = no
guest only = no
guest ok = yes

[home]
path = /home/satimis

I reset WinME box by performing following steps

1) Removed all old passwords

2) Removed the  "network folder" with

Start -> Run - Regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Network

3) Rebooted WinME to enter new user and new password

User = AministratorME

4) Start "Home Network Wizard"

(Remark: I was not allowed to enter "SEC" as workgroup.  I must select
"MSHOME" as workgroup.  If I entered "SEC" as workgroup, after roboot WinME
did not appear in the network)

Hardware
1) Removed the NIC for broadband connection
2) From

Neighbour networking -> properties
removed all corresponding   NIC adapter, NetBEUI and TCP/IP

Identification changed to
workgroup = MSHOME

Rebooted WinME, new workgroup "MSHOME" found together with the old
workgroup "SEC" in the network.  But RH8.0 (Samba serve) could not
connected to the network nor appear there.  Neither WinME could be mounted
from RH8.0

After playing several times including rebooting WinME the workgroup
"MSHOME" disappeared from neighbour networking.  Reset "home networking
wizard" could not solve the problem,  But "search computer" still could
find WinME either with its computer name or its IP address.

I could not move any further and I am at a loss what is its cause

>What is the resolving order?  Did you set up (or designate) a wins
>server?  What is the OS level?  Is there some sort of browse master (at
>least local)?

Sorry I don't catch your question.  I just connect a WinME box to a RH8.0
box using Samba for files sharing.

The funny thing is, last time I succeeded using this WinME box (almost same
settings) to connect to another Linux box (RH7.3) also using Samba for
testing files sharing.  It worked without much setup and difficulties also
with 2 NICs.

>  - snip -
>Another piece of advise, reboot the Winbox frequently while you are
>testing, often it is the only way to make it re-read the changes made on
>the server.

This is the question.  If I reboot WinME with a crossover cable connected
to RH8.0, occasionally it is hard to boot.  If with the cable removed then
it defeats the purpose of reboot.

I am going to connect RH80, the Samba Server, to a Win98 box with the
target to find out whether its settings having problem, also with a
crossover cable for connection.

I am going to reply your comment in another box, hoping that the thread can
still be traced

Thanks

Stephen Liu