[PLUG] PHP or perl for web app?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Fri Oct 18 14:59:19 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric House <fixin at peak.org> writes:

Eric> I've never done anything like this before, but I know perl, and there
Eric> seem to be a lot of useful modules (CGI.pm among them) for this sort
Eric> of thing.  But a friend who does web apps semi-commercially recommends
Eric> PHP -- though he doesn't know perl and so can't exactly compare the
Eric> two.

I'm going to stay out of this, except to say that when you compare
"Perl" to PHP, be sure you are comparing a Perl web application
system, like Apache::Template and Template Toolkit running under
mod_perl, not just Perl-as-CGI.

Too many people compare Perl-CGI to $web_language_X, and discover
that indeed $web_language_X is better, for some definition of better.

stonehenge.com runs Apache::Template
Slashcode (slashdot and friends) is Template Toolkit based.

It's quite a good system.  See perl.apache.org for "why mod_perl"
and tt2.org for details about Template.