[PLUG] An acroread problem

Carla Schroder pluglist at bratgrrl.com
Fri Oct 18 17:36:59 UTC 2002

On Friday 18 October 2002 10:14, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Bill Barry wrote:
> > Fill in the form with acroread
> > print it to a file
> > open it with ghostview
> > print it.
> > ask adobe for the source to acroread so you can fix it :)
>
> Bill,
>
>   I tried printing it to a file and printing it directly. Same results as
> trying to print from within acroread. Didn't try gv.
>
>   But, it is, I believe, a problem with the form. I just re-installed
> acroread-4.0.5, repointed /usr/bin/acroread to that version's wrapper
> script, and the filled-in form printed just fine. So, I conclude that
> there's something in a form generated under acrobat-4 that no longer works
> under Acrobat-5. Isn't this the Redmond model?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

The Linux installation of Acroread is a mess. They don't seem overly concerned
with details.  I just triumphed over a new installation of 5.06 that did not
even want to start: "Warning: charset "UTF-8" not supported, using
"ISO8859-1".

Now I don't know if RH 8 is doing something goofy, or Adobe, and I'm getting
to the point where having to track down and fix these kinds of issues is a
seriously irritating waste of time. I found the fix, the acroread script must
be edited thusly, add:

LANG=en_US
 export LANG

to the beginning of the script.

I also had a similar printing problem- Acroread was trying to call up a
printing subsystem that was not installed. Take a good look at the printer
dialogue when it comes up, maybe it will be that simple.

Maybe.
--
Carla Schroder