[PLUG] Reviews of RedHat 8.0 - is it worth $150?c

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Fri Oct 18 22:41:20 UTC 2002

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I'm running apt-rpm. Eventually most of the updates make it to the
> tuxfamily.org repositories. Those that don't, I get from
> rpmfind.net.

I'm running rpm-update on a couple dozen machines at work and a
couple more at home:

  http://www.kleemann.org/rpm-update/

You can point it at a variety of mirror sites (I like
mirrors.kernel.org, but opnsrc.support.compaq.com is a good backup).
I've got a daily cron job that runs it in "tell me what's available
for download, but don't actually download anything" mode:

  35   5   *   *   *    USER=$LOGNAME /usr/bin/rpm-update -d -n

Then I

  # download the updates
  rpm-update -d
  # find out what needs to be installed on any given local host
  rpm-update -r
  # hand-install touchy packages like kernel-* or rpm-*
  # and then let rpm-update handle the mass installations
  rpm-update -i
  # and, occasionally, clear out obsolete packages
  rpm-update -c

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>