WAS (RE: [PLUG] Reviews of RedHat 8.0 - is it worth $150?) Now: SuSE Update?

Kyle Hayes kyle_hayes at speakeasy.net
Sun Oct 20 03:16:44 UTC 2002

On Saturday 19 October 2002 18:52, Intel Richard wrote:
> Which brings up a totally "newbie" question:  I have SuSE 6.1.  If I
> load it, and get all the updates via the web, is it equivalent to SuSE
> 8.0?  Never really thought of it that way...

Hmm, I suppose it would be theoretically possible. I've tended to alternate
between upgrading and reinstalling.  I generally buy each version of SuSE
Pro.  However, all the RPMs are available for download.  They just aren't
organized with ISO images etc.

I've thought about mirroring all the RPMs locally, but with 8.0, I was able
to just copy the CDs all to my drive and then twiddle a couple of things
to point YaST there and haven't needed to load the CDs since.  Very handy.
Hopefully 8.1's redone RPM handling supports this better.

I think that SuSE doesn't officially support anything before about 7.0 now.
So, you'd have to figure out how to manually upgrade to 7.0 and then
probably do it one version at a time after that.  Unless you time is free,
I'd suggest just buying the CDs :-)

Best,
Kyle