[PLUG] Spam law update

Dylan Reinhardt plug at dylanreinhardt.com
Sun Oct 20 18:05:35 UTC 2002

>If we vote to ban roughly 25% of the USPS's income, then postage
>becomes a *lot* more expensive for consumers.

Seems to me USPS has managed to achieve higher rates all on their own.  And
that junk mail is subsidized *by* us, it's not a subsidy *to* us.

On the other hand, if we did away with the legal monopoly USPS enjoys, we
might actually see rates decline once FedEx and UPS entered the market.

Of course, if we de-monopolized the mail system, how long would it be
before MS took over and had us all buying Passport-enabled postage
chips?  It could be the next great virus vector. :-)

Dylan