[PLUG] Spam law update

Stafford A. Rau srau at rauhaus.org
Mon Oct 21 15:24:10 UTC 2002

* Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> [021019 17:30]:
>   What encourages me is the article in today's Oregonian reporting that
> Washington has successfully procecuted its first spammer under its law. This
> is a 28-year-old from Salem who sent about 300,000 spam mails soliciting
> sales of his $40 book on how to make money on the Internet. Under Washington
> law, each incident can result in a fine of $20,000 plus the cost of
> procecution. The judge dropped the conviction to a single incident and
> lopped a third off the restitution of costs. The defendent now owes the
> state of Washington $96,000.

I seem to recall that the Washington spam law makes it relatively easy
for private individuals to be awarded damages from spammers. I would
really like to see a proposed Oregon law do the same so that we do have
to wait for the Oregon state attorney general to decide that a spammer
is egregious enough to persue.

--Stafford