[PLUG] Spam law update

Alex Daniloff alex at daniloff.com
Mon Oct 21 15:23:52 UTC 2002

Well, it means that ISP's or government should spend some
forensic resources to investigate each spam message if anti-spam
law is adopted.
Who will pay for these procedures? Legiment users?
What if spam servers located overseas?
Who will they charge then - domain owners or foreign governments?
The problem as I envision it is in anchient mail protocol standards
itself. There is no non-spoofable hard links or pointers to the real
host from which message was sent. What if mail servers just refuse to
accept/deliver mail messages without proper headers with clear
authentication. Then spam will vanish on its own.
I'm just dreaming about it while deleting >200 spam messages
I'm getting every day.

Alex

> > How would ISP's track spammers to charge them a money if
> > most of the mail headers are spoofed anyway?
>
> Alex,
>
>   I may be slightly off on the details, but while the domain name,
from and
> to may be spoofed, the originating IP address can be found.
Sometimes some