[PLUG] A regex conundrum

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Oct 22 13:28:02 UTC 2002

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Bruce Kingsland wrote:

> Your message indicated you were filtering on .ad., and getting
> strings where any char might be in the dot; that tells me that your
> filter is using regex, so you should be able to escape the dot in your
> filter recipe.

Bruce,

  I see that I was not clear in my writing. My postfix regex filters include
those for "advertisement" in its various guises, such as "adv" or "ADV". I
tweaked the syntax so it no longer filters out the "adv"anced linux group
notices, but I suspect it was this string that caught the address.

  The address to which I wished to send the message was ... at nic.ad.jp. I'm
speculating that the header check for the advertising spam picked up the
"ad" part of the domain name. I may very well be mistaken.