[PLUG] Exchange HOWTO Update

D. Cooper Stevenson cooper at linux-enterprise.net
Tue Oct 22 17:59:58 UTC 2002

Matt;

> What a lot of people don't understand is that in the corporate world they
> want something that works like outlook, because they don't want to change
> the way they do things.  If there was a very comparable outlook-like app
> for linux (or even windows) it would be a no-brainer.  Throwing all the
> web-based stuff at them isn't really going to fly well with most suits.

I could'nt agree more. We can't just walk in and say, ``okay, we need you to ditch 5 years of (insert application here). We're going with product X now!''

Specifically for this case, we need a drop-in calendering replacement for use with Outlook. It must also be transparent to the user. If it has web-based functionality, all the better.

For connecting to a standard IMAP server with calendering through an Outlook client, Bynari's Insight Connector does exactly this. You don't have to buy the whole Bynari package, just the connector plug-in. The back-end may then remain standard. This increases the robustness and flexability of the system:

  http://www.bynari.net/bynari/insightcon.html

Best,

Cooper

Cooper Stevenson        |cooper at metasource.us
UNIX/Linux Consultant   |PH: (541)791-1322
MetaSource Technologies |www.metasource.us