[PLUG] Light based signal encoding techniques

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Wed Oct 23 04:42:29 UTC 2002

Terrel Woolbright wrote:
> I have a class at PCC and with it a term project. I need to find out
> what I can about "Light based signal encoding techniques (sending data
> over fiber optic cable)". Then this information has to be presented to
> the class. Is there anyone out here that would have information about
> this or know where to direct me? Web sites, files, company information,
> standards, etc would be fine and much appreciated.

And if you're looking for more ideas...Quantum encrytion (believed
unbreakable) [1] was discussed in "The Code Book", by Simon Singh.  It has
been "workable" for a few years [2] and everyone wants it now.  Just the
thing for all the dark fiber around the country.

Still fuzzy why a quantum computer can't break a quantum encryption scheme.
     But I'm sure there's a good reason, and a bad reason, and a few others.

[1] Defined: <http://www.disenchanted.com/dis/lookup?node=1176>
[2] Thumbnail: <http://www.mitre.org/pubs/edge/january_02/gilbert2.html>

Also:
<http://www.trnmag.com/Stories/2002/080702/Quantum_secrets_ride_phone_lines_080702.html>