[PLUG] Samba server and Win98 connection problem

Stephen Liu satimis at writeme.com
Wed Oct 23 11:28:53 UTC 2002

Hi Russ,

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 13:24, Russ Johnson wrote:
- snip -

> What is the error you get when you try to umount it?

Now "umount" works.  Last time when I issued this command as root it
complained with something like "it is busy" but I already closed all
files, directories and applications except Console window on KDE.

> - snip -
> Unless you are RECEIVING email on this system, turn off sendmail. You
> don't need sendmail running as a daemon unless you are receiving email
> from another system. You can turn off sendmail by running
> /etc/init.d/sendmail stop. Make sure it doesn't turn on again at the
> next reboot by running ntsysv (on Redhat) and unselecting sendmail

Noted with thanks.  I am running RH8.0
.
- snip -
> OK, it's weird to have a regular user as the "guest" user. You probably
> want 'nobody' or something like that.
>
> 'satimis' would be a regular user, not a guest.

Now I changed  /etc/samba/smb.conf  in the globe section as follows:

[global]

workgroup = SEC
guest account = nobody
encrypt passwords = yes
security = user

> If you specify satimis as guest, everyone inherits his files when they
> log in as guest via samba.

Noted

There are still have 2 problems unsolved

1) '# mount' could not mount  /mnt/Win98  As root I have to issue
following command

# mount //scw98/shared /mnt/Win98/
Password:

I just hit [Enter] then it can mount.  'Password' seems having no
function

Previously I could mount  '/mnt/Win98'  with  command '# mount' as
root.  I can't recall how to make it because too many changes have been
made.

2) On Win98 following directories shown in workgroup under Samba server

homes
myshare
satimis
Profiles
Public
tmp

Can I issue "chmod 755" to get rid some of them.  In such a case whether
other users on Samba server still can visit them.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen Liu

(Remark: I changed Win98 box back to a WinME box.  They connected both
way without complaint)

- snip -