[PLUG] Samba server and Win98 connection problem

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Wed Oct 23 16:32:49 UTC 2002

* Stephen Liu <satimis at writeme.com> [2002-10-23 04:29]:
> Now "umount" works.  Last time when I issued this command as root it
> complained with something like "it is busy" but I already closed all
> files, directories and applications except Console window on KDE.

Most likely, "something" was open, or wedged.

> There are still have 2 problems unsolved
>
> 1) '# mount' could not mount  /mnt/Win98  As root I have to issue
> following command
>
> # mount //scw98/shared /mnt/Win98/
> Password:
>
> I just hit [Enter] then it can mount.  'Password' seems having no
> function

Specify the password on the command line.

mount //scw98/shared /mnt/Win98 -o password=""

I haven't tested this, so it may not work.

> 2) On Win98 following directories shown in workgroup under Samba server
>
> homes
> myshare
> satimis
> Profiles
> Public
> tmp
>
> Can I issue "chmod 755" to get rid some of them.  In such a case whether
> other users on Samba server still can visit them.

Are you saying the all those shares appear as shared on the linux box
when you browse to it from the Win98 box?

If that's the case, and you don't want that, remove their entries from
the smb.conf file, restart samba and they should go away. Since Windows
98 caches this information, it may take a reboot on the Windows 98 side
to make it go away, once the samba server isn't sharing them anymore.

Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online
http://www.dimstar.net

Random thought #16 (Collect all 17)
"It is often easier to fight for principles than to live up to them." - Adlai Stevenson