[PLUG] perl advice (forking, lists problems)

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Thu Oct 24 01:01:36 UTC 2002

>>>>> "gilmanhunt" == gilmanhunt  <gilmanhunt at attbi.com> writes:

gilmanhunt> Good morning!
gilmanhunt> I'm working on this perl script. I'm not very good (yet) at Perl, but
gilmanhunt> I'm getting there. Most of my learning has been at the hands of
gilmanhunt> the Perl Cookbook (Bighorn Ram) and Programming Perl
gilmanhunt> (Camel).  I've got this perl script that is replacing another script.

gilmanhunt> What I need to do is process a file of 30000 lines; and normally
gilmanhunt> to do it takes a very long time (The process takes a long time,
gilmanhunt> not the perl part).

You need to use my "get your kids to do the work" solution at

        <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col15.html>
and
        <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col16.html>