[PLUG] Samba server and Win98 connection problem

Matt Alexander m at netpro.to
Thu Oct 24 03:44:05 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 00:32, Russ Johnson wrote:
> - snip -
>
> Specify the password on the command line.
>
> mount //scw98/shared /mnt/Win98 -o password=""
>
> I haven't tested this, so it may not work

I haven't been following this thread, so I'm not sure what the original
question was, but the command should be:

smbmount //scw98/shared /mnt/Win98 -o username=someuser password=somepass

You can leave off the password in the command and you'll just be prompted
for it.  You can also leave off the username, assuming the username you're
logged into the *nix box with is the same as the one on the Windows
server.  If you want regular users to be able to mount and unmount SMB
shares, you'll need to
chmod 4755 `which smbmnt` && chmod 4755 `which smbumount`

You'll probably want to add the Windows server name to your /etc/hosts as
well.
~M