[PLUG] Verifying a cd-r image

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Oct 24 23:10:31 UTC 2002

> > # md5sum image.iso /dev/cdrom
>
>   Verifying the new cd-r is of more interest to me. Perhaps just reading the
> mounted directory in the cdrom drive is sufficient.

Hmm, maybe I misunderstood the question.

If you want to verify that you wrote the data to the CD-R correctly,
check the MD5 on the ISO image.

If you want to verify that the ISO image was properly generated, run

# find . -type f -size +0 -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum > MD5SUMS

(or something like that) on your original data, then when you mount
the ISO image (ideally via the loopback device on the hard disk image
since it's *much* faster than reading the CD, esp. if the disk layout
isn't optimized to minimize seeks) run

# md5sums -c /cdrom/MD5SUMS

Bear