[PLUG] Dual-headed system

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Mon Oct 28 21:44:02 UTC 2002

Hi Ed,

On Sun, 2002-10-27 at 14:58, Ed Sawicki wrote:
> I've not yet had the pleasure of building a dual-headed system
> so this is a newbie question.
>
> Suppose I put a MDA (monochrome display adapter) and VGA card
> in the same computer (a PC) and connect a monochrome monitor to
> the MDA card and a color monitor to the VGA card. I then run a
> single X server that uses the VGA card and color monitor. I want
> the monochrome monitor to display my virtual consoles - using
> no X server, of course.
>
> Is this possible?

Probably not, it looks like the dual-heads need to be on the PCI bus
(AGP is on the PCI bus).  Both video cards will also need to support
running multiple cards.  It would take a very special monochrome card to
fit this bill.

Anyway, the dual-head only works under X, so there is no way you will
get a console to display on one card, and X on the other card.

HTH

Derek Loree