[PLUG] Visualizing debian releases (fwd)

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Oct 28 22:03:24 UTC 2002

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Percival, Ray wrote:
> Well for example back when Potato was stable and no one was sure if
> Woody was going to be 2.x or 3.0 it gave a non-cumbersome way to refer
> to it.

So what's wrong with "testing" and "unstable"?

> On most projects they are used before and official name/version number
> has been decided on. At least this is true for the projects I've been
> involved in.

Since Debian has moved to this "fork and stabilize" structure, I'd be
happy to just see the ever-mutating development branch be simply
"unstable" and each cut be given a date of cut and kernel revision number
with either a testing or stable designation (i.e., S20020401-2.2 or
T20021022-2.4).

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin