[PLUG] /mnt/hda5 & Sound

Dirk Ouellette hapibeli at attbi.com
Tue Oct 29 01:41:58 UTC 2002

Thanks josh, I'll check the cable.

Paul, I've tried this 4 times, from a terminal as root 3 times and once
without logging in as anyone [Ithought maybe I'd misinterpreted the
everyone logged out line], and the only result is a blinking cursor and
nothing. I've used ctl-alt-del to reboot.;

OK, here's more or less what I'd do if you want /dev/hda5 to become
/home. Make sure everyone's logged out, then from the first virtual
console

#
# this code is untested and provided without warranty :-)
#
# go to single-user mode
#
/sbin/telinit s
#
# test a sync; note that trailing slashes or lack thereof
# are crucial!
#
rsync -nav /home/ /mnt/hda5
#
# if everything looks kosher, then do a live sync
#
rsync -av /home/ /mnt/hda5
#
# get rid of competing /home candidates
#
umount /mnt/hda5
/bin/rm -rf /home/*
#
# edit the following fstab entry as needed
#
cat <<__eof__ >>/etc/fstab
/dev/hda5          /home           ext3   defaults     1 2
__eof__
#
# bring /dev/hda5 online for real
#
mount /home
#
# bring back to old runlevel
#
/sbin/telinit $(grep ':initdefault:' /etc/inittab | cut -d: -f2)

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>