[PLUG] Visualizing debian releases (fwd)

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Oct 29 01:32:54 UTC 2002

Ray> Its not as "fun" I personally like it but just because of the
Ray> cool factor.

Russell> I personally dislike it because it is an unnecessary barrier
Russell> to understanding.  It is completely disorienting to those who
Russell> aren't hip to the lingo.

I'll just re-emphasize the word "unnecessary" here.

Ray> And that is one of the reason I like it. It tends to keep newbies
Ray> away. Tends to reduce demand for stupid things like GUI
Ray> installers and auto installing hardware. Debian IMNSHO *should*
Ray> be hard and scary for people who don't want to take the time and
Ray> make the effort to learn it. But then again from previous
Ray> conversations I'm guessing my goals and thoughts on what I want
Ray> are *very* different from yours. To each their own.

Can you point out where in Debian Policy the words "obfuscation" or
"opaque" appear?

And as for "newbie", reel it out buddy and lets have a look!  I
started using Debian when the FSF was still giving them money.

--
Russell Senior         ``I've seen every kind of critter God ever made,
seniorr at aracnet.com      and I ain't never seen a meaner, lower, more