[PLUG] Cookie bear for Unix?

Tyler F. Creelan creelan at engr.orst.edu
Tue Oct 29 01:59:00 UTC 2002

This reminds me - Is there a unix clone of the multics "cookie bear"
program ?  That is, the program you could run on someone's terminal and it
would keep printing "Can I have a cookie?" until the user typed "cookie",
then go into the background to run again later?

I've found the source for the old MIT Multics version, written in PL/1,
but it seems someone would have ported it to Unix in 25+ years...

More info:
------------------
Origin of the Cookie Monster

The idea for the program was born during a Senior House bull session in
1970. Seth Stein, an MIT freshman from Providence, volunteered a story
about an IBM computer operator at Brown who liked to tease his users by
locking out their terminals and manually sending them messages asking for
a cookie until they typed "cookie." "Say," I immediately thought, "this
concept cries out for automation!"

The programming itself was relatively simple, and was done during a
vacation week on a 2741 that SIPB had recently installed into the dorm for
student use.

Because of Multics' fine security, the perpetrator usually had to wait
until his victim left a terminal unattended to cause the program to run in
the victim's process. Occasionally, a user left one or more of his files
unguarded, allowing a tormentor to insert a command to invoke the cookie
program in that user's start_up command file, his abbreviatioe ever
involved.)

The hack was made truly difficult to find and purge by an unusual feature
of Multics: the ability for a program to set an alarm timer and then
terminate. At the specified time, the alarm timer would invoke a program,
exactly as if the user had typed a command. That program could set another
alarm timer, and so on. (The closest analogy I can think of is UNIX cron,
except that no processes other than the user's own were ever involved.)

...http://www.multicians.org/cookie.html

Tyler