[PLUG] Samba + Windows question: can act as admin locally, but not when logged into the domain

Michael J. Luevane mikel at quantecllc.com
Tue Oct 29 18:22:47 UTC 2002

Hello, PLUGgers...

First, a caveat - I'm a relative newbie at Linux et al, so if I make a
"newbie" mistake, it's to be expected.

I'm trying to get backup software (Veritas Backup Exec) to work on my NT
box.

First, the background:

I have a mixed networks - Linux server + NT/98/2k clients. Linux server is
running Samba and is acting as PDC for the domain.

I have a Windows NT 4 Server (SP6) that I is the BDC for the domain. This is
the machine I want to run the backup software on.

So, the software and hardware are installed. As the *local* administrator, I
can run the backup software, but I can't get it to connect to the server.

I log in as the administrator (or root) on the domain and I can get to the
network drive just fine. But now I can't run the software because I don't
have administrator or backup operator rights.

So, what I have is this:

Domain: can't run software, can get to server

It looks like (from other things that I've tried to do) the Administrator
account rights are "overruled" by the rights that the account has on the
Linux server, but the administrative rights don't come over. Or something
like that.

Am I making sense?

Help! :)

Mike